Dispite I am using MS Azure all the time, I have to think about money when providing a formal training with hands-on Labs, when dealing with 20 trainees willing to have their own Azure VM to play with.
This is a short post to share my wonderings :
For a given size of a VM, would the cost be impacted by the version of the Windows OS ??
So let us consider a A2 Basic VM size, with the 3 following OS version :
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1,
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter,
- Windows Server 2016 CTP3
According to you,
- which one would be the most expensive ?? (the recent version ??).
- Which one is the cheapest ? (the CTP, i.e. Beta version ??)
The answer is : Take whatever you feal like !
For a formal training with Hands-On Labs, I’ll go for :
- A2 Basic VM size (2 cores, 3.5 GB, 4 data disks)
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter
- On : During the day (8.30 am to 6.00 pm), for 5 days
(Note : Prices below are in Euros and based on an MSDN subscription)